Monday, February 2, 2009

Colorado!!

I'm stealing the blog for a while to keep you all updated on every tiny detail of this trip. I'm not sure how much of this trip is going to be blog worthy, but so far it's been pretty hilarious and I feel the need to share my stories with you. If it gets less exciting, I'll stop, but here it goes...

So, we left this morning around 7. Kelly (my roommate) was nice enough to give us a ride to the airport. However, Kelly drives a Toyota Corolla. Now, fitting two board bags, 2 suitcases, a duffel bag, two backpacks, and three human beings into a Corolla takes a little finagling. We managed to get us all in with my knees against the dashboard and Chris sitting in a S-shaped position. Luckily it's only a 7 minute ride to the airport.

The airport was uneventful, as was the airplane ride. It was a four hour flight and we got to Denver on time. Our luggage even made it. It's awesome though...at the Denver airport they have these special corrals for skis and snowboards. Look, here's a picture:


They have big signs on them that say, "Do not stand on the luggage corrals", but they are just so perfectly shaped for a person to ride around in. Despite the picture, I did not take a little ride.

My fun with rental cars continues though! When we got to the rental place, they were all out of full-sized cars that had fold down seats so we could put all of our stuff inside. So...they decided to give us a pick-up truck instead. So now we're cruising in the most gigantic Ford F-150 ever. Seriously, I fall out of the truck when I'm trying to get out.


We had the world's biggest lunch with one of Chris's friends. So much Chinese food. But then, after all of that lunch, we decided that we should go get the world's biggest slushies from Sonic. After seeing Sonic commercials and not being able to find one, how could I pass up the opportunity. Funny thing though...the Sonic was down the street from our hotel when we were on our road trip to Boulder! Like, I saw the glorious Residence Inn Marriot.

Look, it's me with a 44 oz slushie. And, it only cost $1 because it was happy hour. This makes me love Boulder even more than before.

After that we stopped at the University of Colorado (who coincidentally call themselves CU) so Chris could say hi to a couple of his friends who are still there. We also met his advisor who tried to recruit me for the PhD program there. Colorado doesn't seem like a bad place to do a PhD. Bike riding, rock climbing, snowboarding...so much fun. But...then I would have to do a PhD. I also got to see where Chris got hit by a truck his second year of grad school. Those big signs were put up after he got hit. Because he got hit. Way to go Chris!


Then we drove to Keystone. Chris drove because, well, he rented the car, ahem, truck, and because the last time I drove through the Rockies I might have had a heart attack. Just a minor one though. It was very beautiful with the snow and the sunset.


Also, Melissa and Elise! We passed the McDonald's we stopped at in that little town. It was as charming as ever, but still no Target, so I'm guessing Elise won't be moving there any time soon.

BUT, the best part came when we got to our little condo. It's nicer than I was expecting (and bigger than Melissa's old apartment...like WAY bigger) with a kitchenette so we can cook lots of food (which we bought...so much food for a such a short amount of time. I hope we actually eat it all because I will be very proud of us.) However, because, why not, our condo has a MURPHY BED. That's right, it folds into the wall! Here Chris demonstrates the folding awesomeness:

Now that we have all this extra space, I'm pretty sure we're (not) going to have a dance party. Actually, I think we're going to go to bed. Up early to hit up Keystone. There are bowls! I'm not sure what a bowl is (other than a container for delicious cereal), so I'm hoping we're going to go to the back of the mountain and find a glorious pool of Lucky Charms or something...yum yum.

Big day tomorrow...here's hoping for no black eyes!

No comments: