Friday, August 15, 2008

Let the Kitsch Begin!

Melissa was going to blog tonight but she fell asleep, so I will fill in for her.

We got up this morning and left Denver relatively early (although, not as early as we are going to leave tomorrow) on our way to South Dakota. I can't say that I have much to say about the drive because Elise and Melissa drove and I slept in the back seat. I think I'm doing a fairly decent job at not sleeping the entire time I am in the car, but my car-induced narcolepsy still affects me at times (although not when driving).

All I know, is that I woke up somewhere in Wyoming and we were driving next to buffalo! (or bison, I don't actually know the difference.) Here's a picture of one:


After driving for a very long time (again, according to Melissa and Elise, I was sleeping in the back seat) we stopped at Wind Cave somewhere in South Dakota. It was very cool. We took a tour down about 200 ft and got to explore some of the couple of the rooms down in the cave. We have lots of pictures but they don't really look like anything so you'll have to look up Wind Cave if you want to see something.

Next we stopped at Mount Rushmore. They sure do hide that sucker up some winding roads so that you can't see it from the road.

You know, we got there, took some pictures, read some stuff. Fun fact: the original design of Mount Rushmore had the presidents spooning. Elise took a picture:

Notice Lincoln peeking over Jefferson's shoulder. Peek-a-boo!

Our final stop was to the infamous Wall Drug, in Wall, SD. We began seeing signs for Wall Drug somewhere in Wyoming so there was a lot of anticipation. Between Mount Rushmore and Wall probably 95% of the billboards were for Wall Drug.

It was much less depressing than I think we were expecting. Apparently Wall Drug became successful by giving away cups of ice water to travelers across South Dakota which they still do today. And then things went haywire. There are statutes of dinosaurs, singing mechanical cowboys, 6' stuff rabbits, and more kitsch than you shake a Wall Drug walking stick at. We got there kind of late so most things were closed or closing as we got there. We ate some not-terrible dinner before collecting our required Wall Drug souvenirs and took advantage of the photo-op statues.

I look like a giant in this photo.


And Melissa made a friend:

Up early tomorrow. We're capping off our tour of national parks with a trip to the Corn Palace and the Mall of America. Ah, America.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you've just awakened them from a night of cuddling, and they've all trudged to the door together to see who it is. Alternatively, like a conga line.

Corn palace! Keep the posts coming!

Kelly said...

Wall Drug is a magical wonderland!

Yay wildlife!

Corn Palace!