Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleepy in Santa Fe

So, I'm currently kneeling at the end of our little tent area posting this. Not sure how long it will be...I suppose it depends on how long my legs hold out crouching like this. I'm going to guess that I won't be a Major League catcher anytime soon.

We got up around 5 this morning in hopes to catch the sunrise over the Grand Canyon. We've gotten really good at setting up and putting away the tent so it didn't take us too long. We managed to get there just as the sun was peeking over the horizon.

Look, Elise looks so happy to be awake!



We drove down to Flagstaff and got breakfast at this cute little vegetarian cafe that Elise found for us (let's be honest, Elise has found all of our restaurant choices and they have all been excellent) and I got a

After lots more driving where we finally seemed to hit the jackpot with roadside attractions (Mechanical dinosaurs! Petrified wood! Giant fiberglass bunnies! Pottery! Blankets! Oh my!) we managed to find out way to Pecos National Park.


Now to be honest, after Arches, the Canyonlands, and the Grand Canyon, Pecos was a little disappointing. It started with a kitchy video about Pecos Pueblo and then we took a little hike around some of the old pueblo ruins.

Look, you get to climb down things! There was an threatening rain cloud over us for most of the hike and at times, I was fairly certain Elise was going to get swept away by the winds, but we stayed grounded.

We spent the evening in Santa Fe. It's a very cute little town with lots of shops and there was live music on the plaza. We weren't there for long, but we ate at a place called Coyote Cafe (another Elise find) which was excellent.

Now we're back at the campground ready for our trip back to Colorado and to Denver! (and a hotel room)

Also, people have been concerned about whether we have been able to catch the gymnastics. Don't worry, we have. We're keeping tabs and I would say Melissa and I were slightly depressed after last night's women's team finals. Poor Alicia Sacramone. But tomorrow night is Women's All Around so probably expect a post from Elise while Melissa and I go into cardiac arrest around her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see your tent setup...can you post a photo?
Elise's Mom